Jan 24, 2009

The Controversial Holiday

I was thinking of just blabbing about mX's excessive articles on blogs and the physical and mental damage of smoking but its the first day of the Australia/Chinese New Year long holiday so I thought I'd write something about this event.

Box Hill decided to pull all the stops this year. They blocked off a section of Whitehorse Road for more stands and even set up an amusement park in a carpark at the back of Centro. I didn't get to Box Hill till the evening but the sun was still out because of summer so it was still alright to move around. However it was still crowded and if that didn't make it hard to move from one stand to another there were lots of prams and strollers ramming into the back of my heels. One parent even continuously ram me and seemed to have no idea what he was actually doing with his stroller. There were lots of kids and at these events that meant lots of balloons. Every time you look up you could see a lost balloon floating away and hear the crying of a child.
The stands were the usual. Lots of food stands that are overpriced for Asian food that I've probably had at home but I guess it's the convenience of having them all in one place. I had some food using my money sparingly but ended up buying a double beef and cheese from Maccas instead XD. There were also the usual Asian Christian, Asian DVDs, Lion Dancing, and the Arts and Craft stands. There were a few different ones like ice cream vans, NAB booth, Toy vans, and some Whitehorse council runner with the name Blake I think. Didn't go into the amusement park section because I assumed it would involve me losing a lot of money. I was glad to see that they finally put bins every ten metres apart around Box Hill just for this event. They filled up pretty quickly but if they only have the regular bins then we'd be in trouble.

Round the middle of that paragraph I was interrupted to go see Underworld: Rise of the Lycans which turned out to be pretty good. Still lately been interrupted a lot so my blogs get pushed further and further back.

But actually came back to Box Hill at midnight for dinner and found it still lively with a healthy dose of crowd still left. Some stands were closed and others opened to take their place but the night seemed to be wrapping up for most people. There were still some lion dancing and drumming which were loud enough to bug some people in the Box Hill residential area. The next morning it was like nothing happened XD.

And for some reason I am burnt again. I did go to the beach but it was partly cloudy and I had a shirt on the whole time. Thankfully this time wasn't as bad as last time. SOMEONE said it would be impossible to burn with the weather we had yesterday ... damn you ><. Wah didn't even get my point out because writing up this blog over and over. Australian holidays means people having days off and everything is closed. Chinese holidays means shop open to take in more customers who have the time to shop and eat. So how's a day that's both an Australian and Chinese holiday meant to work?

0 remarks: